Pillar 5 - PriceOps Tooling
A comprehensive PriceOps methodology eliminates as much human error from the process as possible, so that we can focus on what we're good at: creatively designing our product and applying insights gained from observing customer behavior.
A full PriceOps toolchain contains at minimum the following components:
- Add new plans to the pricing model. Common mistakes and inconsistencies are checked, and immutability of plans is enforced.
- Append a phase to a customer schedule. Verifies that the plan named in the phase exists in the model, and that the start and end date are valid.
- Report feature usage. This is used by application code to indicate that a feature has been used by a customer.
- A feature flag system to determine entitlements. This is used by the application code to enable or disable features.
- An automatic system for enabling feature flags as determined by customer usage, the current customer plans, and the limits set in the pricing model.
The following optional components may provide additional value, and reduce the potential for human error further:
- A method for programmatically generating a signup or pricing page based on plans in the model marked "active" or "public".
- A reporting system providing high-level metrics about the performance of various plans, customers using legacy versions of plans, and so on.
Each component of the PriceOps toolchain operate directly on the single source of truth for their domain: the pricing model, customer schedule, usage log, and feature flagging service. They are provided as manual tools (e.g., for sales and support to make adjustments to customer schedule as needed, and for product teams to define and iterate on plan definitions) and as APIs for programmatic access.
No out of band manual adjustments may be made to the system. Every change is done through the provided PriceOps toolchain, to reduce the potential for untracked modifications and human errors.
Values Provided By This Pillar
- Human error removed from the process to the greatest degree possible.
- All changes are tracked and can be reverted if necessary.
- A clear separation of concerns is enforced, with each component prohibited from causing unforeseen changes.
Using This Pillar in Isolation
It is of course not possible to use "PriceOps tooling" without some other concept of "PriceOps". Each component of the PriceOps methodology that is implemented, can only reach its full value by integration with tooling to provide consistency and reduce the likelihood of errors.
Thus, there is significant value in adopting PriceOps tooling for each pillar of the PriceOps methodology.